Thursday, June 11, 2009

Class of 2009 – Graduation Commencement Speech


07 June 2009
North Yarmouth Academy – Yarmouth, Maine USA
Class of 2009 – Graduation Commencement Speech

By: Brittany A. Hosmer



Thank you Mr. Mertz.

Thank you for this honor to be here in celebrating your achievements!

Eight grade, winter sports season – I stepped out onto the ice, my legs bowed and contoured, arms flapping out to either side, grasping – reaching for edge then ramming my knees into sideboards…THAT was the way I stopped myself as I learned to skate that first season. At the end of the year, I did not receive the coach’s award for “most graceful”… but rather for “perseverance”.

Freshman year through sophomore year in upper school, almost everyday, I would feel an aching pain of nausea… as I entered… Madame’s French class. I do NOT have a gift for learning foreign languages. I believe I passed with a D the last semester! But Madame’s comments to me were that the D was the hardest earned grade in the class and she was happy I stuck with it.

During this time period of my life I had a great summer job – working for safari lodges and game capture companies in South Africa. My passion for sub-Saharan Africa was evident to the NYA community in my artwork, my English papers, and the photographs that lined my open locker door. Although I had people laugh with amusement – my dream was to own a safari company in Africa.

My parents required me to go to school for at least one year in the States before ultimately moving to Africa. This was so that I would have a comparison between a U.S. university and a third world university. The beginning of my senior year came around and I found myself in front of Mrs. Latvis, my college guidance counselor, explaining to her I only wanted to apply to one school – the University of Denver, Daniels College of Business, School of Hotel, Restaurant & Tourism Management…. I was accepted with an Early Action Decision. Which took the pressure off the rest of the year.

My first year at the University of Denver was very academically successful and when the time came that I sat in front of my university Academic Advisor and he asked why I would not be returning next year? I simply stated, “I’m sorry Sir, but it’s just not Africa.” He looked at me a little sideways, wrote something down, smiled as he said, “Good luck.” And thus I started to make the arrangements for my trans-Atlantic move to the southern Hemisphere.

The best way to describe African protocol is to bring you to Africa. Imagine…

There you sit at a candle lit table, covered in crisp white linen – you leaf through an elaborate four page menu. Your eyes skim over dishes such as antelope Carpaccio and Indian Ocean rock lobster served with fresh drawn butter.

However…
When you ordered these the waiter shakes is head regretfully.
“Ish! Sorry, um - no.”
It swiftly develops into a guessing game… “Eaahhh…sorry, no got tonight.”
The waiter looks truly distraught as you worked your way UNsuccessfully though the entire menu, until you noticed that everyone else in the dining room is eating stringing roast chicken and rice.
“Ah- yeah, got chicken and rice!” The waiter beaming his endorsement. “What do you want for dessert?”
By now you had learned the technique. You scan the other tables. “How about chocolate pudding?”
The waiter shakes his head, “No.” But you could tell by his expression that you were getting warmer.
Standing up and walking to another table, where a Nigerian business man sits, “Excuse me, sir, what is that you are eating?”
You returned to your own table, look up at your waiter, “I will have Chocolate Delight.” And the waiter nods gleefully.
Your own little humor has to restore your smile, yet it reminds you of the ridiculous – but, yes… proving you are in Africa.

Take this story and apply it everyday. For instance, sending my application for temporary residence to the South African General Consult and letter appears in the mail stating that my Tshwane University letter of acceptance was not “official” ENOUGH. With some time and frustrations everything worked itself out.

Now in Africa, classes begin…My first test, in my business management class… The professor hands out the graded papers from highest grade to lowest grade. I got second to last – 36%. I was FLOORED! I went to the professor’s office later that day and explained how I had studied and this could not possibly be correct! He took my paper and while eyeing it, said, “Here’s your problem – you are answering the questions in your own words.” …”Excuse me?” “My dear – you are not educated enough to have an opinion.” Because I was an UNDERgraduate – he was saying in order to pass an exam you must regurgitate word-for-word what is written in the text book. Also he explained when a question is formed “List and explain” dot-dot-dot… it does not mean write an essay and underline keywords – literally list the points 1-10, then write a sentence or two to explain each point. My NYA-groomed essays were automatically ½ wrong because I did not have a LIST at the beginning of my answer.

Classes carried on… Many amusing “chocolate delight” incidents in between… And during this time I started my dream of operating my own safari company – specializing in high-end bird hunting trips. With a team of German Shorthair Pointers and English Pointers, I caravanned throughout southern Africa catering mostly to European and American clients. The epitome of my passions was documented on the American TV show – Expedition Safari – during an episode on international bird hunting it highlighted my company and my love of wingshooting.

Backing up a bit, when I was 13, I started to learn to fly. This dream was put on the back burner as academic, athletic, and social commitments increased. Regardless, my desire to fly twirled around in my mind for a while. Eventually I learnt to fly using metric measurements, English-Afrikaans slang, hours of ground school, and hours in the air. Although it took about 8 years to complete my goal, at age 21– I flew solo. And now hold Pilot’s License in the States and South Africa.

At the moment – everything I set my sights on I was accomplishing – things could not be better.

Five months before I graduated, several serious moments occurred in my life.

In Pretoria, I survived a car hi-jacking and a few weeks later a home invasion by burglars. I had always felt safe, by now my eight foot high security wall wasn’t high enough, my electric gate wasn’t strong enough, and armed response-motion detector security system did little to calm my nerves. I asked myself is it WORTH IT? Painfully, I decided, “No, it was not worth it” – I was not in a relationship, I could sell my car, I was renting my house, my business was seasonal, and I was almost finished with my degree… I wanted to come home.

Once back in the States, it took a good six months for me to decide if I was “running away” from Africa and my life that I had created there or if being in the States was what I truly wanted and needed now.

With the support and encouragement of my family and loved ones I began to pour myself into creating, Rock Environmental, LLC, a business and conservation consulting company. In the beginning projects were small, local companies hiring me to help find environmentally friendly alternatives. Gradually it grew to attract the attention of high-end boutique hotels wanting to become more sustainable and international 501c3 organizations seeking my help to develop third-world wildlife and humanitarian focused projects. Last week I was in Colorado finishing a project outside of Aspen and next week I will be in northern Tanzania to oversee the implementation of several conservation programs.

My company allows me to do what I love everyday – help show people the value their environment, the importance of community and culture, and the feasibility to sustainably grow their businesses. It affords me the ability to live in the U.S., be close to my family, and still be actively involved with the continent I adore. I am sincerely so blessed.

I hope these stories have illustrated to you how I’ve chosen to created my life. Where I am right now is from deliberate actions not random consequences.

I dreamt big even when people laughed at my ideas. I stuck with it even though it didn’t come naturally. I accomplished what I wanted even though it took longer than I had expected. And at the end of the day – my accomplishments are my own – not something I compared with to others.

If you remember nothing else from this speech – remember to set AND commit to your goals …and THEN to chase those dreams until they are your life.

I will leave you with the only words printed on my senior page of the 2003 year book and what I’ve chosen to live by. A quote by Peter Hathaway Capstick. “There will be trials and tribulation, victories and elation, but certainly, if nothing else, there will be adventure.”

Thank you and congratulations again!

No comments: